Top 5 Social Media Trends in 2018 [Infographic]
Just a week away from 2018, we are here listing the top social media trends in 2018. While 2017 has been an eventful year for social media platforms in terms of growth and innovation. 2018 is going to see more people moving towards social media for their business advertising and marketing.
The top 5 Social Media Trends in 2018
(Don’t forget to go through the detailed description of the social media trends in 2018 after the infographic.)
The rise of Messaging platforms:
We believe this to be one of most important social media trends in 2018. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger crossed their user base to more than 1.3 billion and 1.2 billion respectively in 2017 bringing the focus to messaging platforms. While brands have not been able to leverage messaging platforms for advertising as much as social media platforms, 2018 is going to make a big difference.
Some of the ways how 2017 has already set a good start in collaborating messaging platforms with social media marketing are:
- Facebook started Messenger Ads with Messenger CTAs or display ads on Facebook Messenger.
- Facebook started ads with WhatsApp CTA for businesses to take the conversation forward on WhatsApp.
- Snapchat started Snap Pixel this year to help advertisers track their Snapchat Marketing campaigns.
Experts believe that 2018 is going to see a further rise in the growth rate of messaging platforms and their integration with social media marketing. Also, the combination of chatbots with messaging platforms is going to enhance the quality of service.
Being Mobile Ready:
There’s nothing new about this trend, right? Why am I still talking about it in 2018?
Well, that’s because most of the users are spending their majority of the time using social media on mobiles. Check out the statistics below:
Social Media Platform Time Spent on Mobile in 2017
If your ads and marketing content is not mobile ready, you’re going to have a hard time putting forward your ideas. Split-test your ads on different devices to check how well your customers on mobile devices respond. By 2019, 72% of all US digital ad spend is expected to be in mobile advertising. So, if you’re still lagging behind on this trend, it’s high time to catch up.
Focusing on Gen Z:
Do you know that Gen Z represents $44 billion in annual purchasing power in the US? Well, the oldest Gen Z is going to be 22 years old in 2018. So, the online buying potential they have in future is really amazing. According to a study by Goldman Sachs, Gen Z is expected to be more valuable to organizations compared to millennials.
Let’s look at how you can market to Gen Z in 2018:
- Gen Z is known to have an attention span of 8 seconds. All the best promoting your product to Gen Z.
- There are more interested in augmented reality and latest tech updates in social media.
- Video content seems to work best for them.
- They prefer real people marketing to them over celebrities. So, go out and find the right influencers for Gen Z.
The Chatbots Upsurge:
This is one of the most important social media trends in 2018 that you need to look out. Businesses have begun to weave chatbots in their day-to-day interactions and automate conversations. This has certainly increased the efficiency and ease of customer support for enterprises. 2018 is going to have more businesses leveraging chatbots.
It’s estimated that $8 billion can be saved in cost by 2022 by using chatbots.
How can you use chatbots in your social media marketing?
- Integrate chatbots in the messenger of your Facebook Page
- Give relevant information such as product knowledge, process flow, to your bot.
- Decide the specific usage of the bot.
Live Video Streaming:
Better video processing and smartphone networks have made live video streaming a huge thing. And businesses like to use live streaming because they are more engaging. It’s estimated that by 2021, live streaming revenue will hit $70.05 billion. It’s amazing how quickly live video streaming has grown across all social media platforms.
The biggest reason why you need to focus on videos: Video content has the best ROI. And it’s really easy to begin.
How can you integrate live video streaming into your business?
- Pick the social media platform (Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat) where you have maximum audience engagement to go live.
- Announce your live video in advance if you want or just go live.
- Prepare your content before you begin.
Over to you:
These are our top 5 picks for social media trends in 2018. What do you think is going to be the biggest trend in 2018? Add your views in the comments.